Share This Page:

Wednesday, October 17, 2012

Why I Ran To Ikeja, Lagos - Speaker Ikuforiji

The Speaker of the Lagos State House of Assembly, Adeyemi Ikuforiji, has denied being chased out of the politics of Epe, his original hometown.

The Speaker had represented Epe Constituency 1 at the House for two terms spending five of the eight years as Speaker.

However, in the wake of last election, the news spread that Ikuforiji was desperate to return to the House after his political calculations failed.

Before settling for Ikeja, he was also said to have earlier chosen one of the two constituencies of Oshodi-Isolo and that this almost resulted in hot argument between him and the representative of that area.
Ikuforiji reacted to the news recently when he visited Epe in honour of one of the lawmakers from the area, Segun Olulade.

Ikuforiji said nobody chased him away from the area during the elections.
He said he decided to shift his politics to Ikeja after realising that he would not be doing the people of the area any good by coming out as their representative for the third time even when he knew he was only privileged to go a second term.

He said it would have been a shame for him not to allow other young people from the constituency to represent the area  because of his own ambition.

“Before the election, some of them had come to me to declare their intention; some even brought me fish, and there was pressure on me.
“So I told myself that if my party asked me to go back to the House, I would not go there through Epe.
“I personally chose not to come from Epe. Nobody chased me and thank God the constitution permitted me,” he said.

The Speaker appealed to the people of the division to stop the policy of not returning their representatives after serving once as this is one of the reasons for the backwardness of the division.

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...